How to work async – in seven steps
Take back your time with these seven steps toward true schedule flexibility.
Here's how to take back your calendar and achieve true schedule flexibility:
- Add [placeholder] in the titles of all recurring meetings on your calendar
- Create a shared doc for these meetings and link to it in the calendar event
- Each week, use the event as a reminder for all parties to update the doc with pressing questions, concerns, news, etc.
- Allow time for everyone involved to review and respond to the doc (say, by the next business day)
- After everyone has reviewed and contributed, determine if you need to actually sync to clarify things. If so, schedule a new meeting (better yet, a Slack huddle) or wait until next week
- Rinse and repeat
- After two months, assess how often you needed to sync (note the word “needed” here). If the answer is less than 50% of the time, you’re ready to remove the event from your calendar (keep using the doc)
Congrats. You just took back a bit more of your time — the most precious thing we all have.